Sunday, December 23, 2012

My Sous Chefs

We have entered the season of the perpetual cold and cough.  And my kids are right in the middle of it.  Tessie is at the tail end of her latest cold, and Christian is just starting.  This morning we noticed Christian was warm and glassy eyed, and by the late afternoon he was falling apart.  It was time for me to prepare dinner, but Christian was really done cuddling with his dad.  I picked him up and he snuggled up against me.  I tried for the life of me to figure out how to fix dinner with him on my hip.

I asked Christian if he wanted to come help me in the kitchen, and he perked up for the first time.  I tried the gutsy move of putting him in his high chair, he didn’t freak out, and so I pushed him into the kitchen.  I got him a cup of goldfish, and started dinner.  To my happy surprise, Christian stayed in a good mood.  We were having such a great time, that Tessie joined us as well.  I continued to cook, and smiled and laughed with my children.  It just reminds me that I should never underestimate my children’s ability to surprise me.  I was expecting a battle to get dinner on the table, and instead I had a beautiful time cooking with my two sous chefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment