Sunday, June 2, 2013

Dance Party

Well the wedding went off without a hitch.  It was beautiful, moving, and fun, just the way a wedding should be.  The bride was stunning, the groom was moved to tears, and the flower girl was perfect.  If I do say so myself.  We cheered when they were announced as Mr. and Mrs. and posed for pictures until our cheeks hurt from smiling.  Dinner was served, I gave my toast, tears were shed, and the cake was cut.  Then it was time for dancing.

This was the part the kids had been looking forward to all day; the dance party, as Christian referred to it.  I twirled around with first Tes, and then Christian in my arms.  They squealed with delight, and I loved every minute of it.  Nick and I even got to dance to our wedding song, At Last, with our kiddos pressed between us.  It was one big ooey gooey love fest, and it was awesome.

After a while, Tessie wandered off to twirl in front of the photographer, and Christian wanted to dance on the floor.  I put him down with a little hesitation.  Usually, when Christian dances on the floor it isn't very enjoyable for me because I have to stoop over and hold him up by his arm pits.  My back starts to scream after about thirty seconds.  As I stood him up I decided to try to support him by holding his hands, something he doesn't really like, and so we don't normally do it, even though it is a lot easier on my back.  But something amazing happened.  Christian stood up straight, supporting all his weight on his own, and held onto my hands simply for balance.  I was so shocked at first, that I forgot we were standing on a dance floor.  Then I came back to myself and burst into tears.  Christian beamed up at me, and we danced, hand in hand, for the first time ever. 

Nick wandered over, and stared at us in disbelief.  Other people who knew our situation cheered Christian on, and he became the hit of the dance floor.  After a while, he began to bounce up and down, still supporting his own weight.  The tears were freely flowing down my face by that point, as I gazed at my son, filled with pride and love.  We danced, and danced, until it was time to put the kids to bed.  As we said our goodnights, Christian smiled at me and said "That dance party was so fun!"  As far as I was concerned, it was the most beautiful dance party I had ever been to in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment