Thursday, June 20, 2013

No Going Back

The unthinkable happened today.  We were cut off from technology for almost an entire day.  Last night, a fiber optic cable that delivers Internet and cell service to our county was cut, and so our entire area went without modern technology for most of the day.  The Internet didn't work, all cell carriers were down, and some businesses couldn't even run a credit card.  I hurried in to work, worried that I would find a chaotic mess.  Luckily, it was business as usual.  My main concern, that our credit card machine wouldn't work, turned out to be an unnecessary worry, as it ran through the phone line.  Although we had very little business, apparently people were in a bit of a crisis, we functioned just fine.  There were a couple issues I ran into.  I couldn't check any of our guiding schedules or book an upcoming trip, since all of our data is now online.  I was a little worried, but it turned out that I didn't even get any calls, since apparently no one owns a house phone anymore.  By the time the service was turned back on, I was getting used to the slower pace that a world without technology provides.  But just like everyone else, as soon as Wifi returned, I was on facebook quicker than you could say "Status Update."  As beautiful as a world without social media is, I am afraid there is just no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment