Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Illustrator

I was working in the shop today, selling flies and fishing rods, and feeling like an adult again, when two adorable children walked in with their dad.  As usually happens in this kind of a situation, I was immediately reminded of my children, and started to miss them.  The little boy and girl, who were a little older than my son and daughter, were visiting from out of town with their parents, and getting geared up for their first fishing trip.  I got them set up with gear, and as I was writing up their parents' fishing licenses at the counter, the little boy picked up a copy of the book I illustrated.

About two years ago I started work on illustrating a book, and it was published last spring.  We ordered about twenty copies, thinking we could sell them at the shop and at my craft shows.  To date, I have only sold a few, and all of them to friends.  When I am in the shop someone will occasionally pick one up, look at it, compliment my illustrations, then put it back down.  It has been rather frustrating. 

Today, the little brother and sister were immediately drawn to the book, and when I told them that I painted the pictures, they got really excited, and asked their mom if they could have it.  I expected her to make an excuse not to buy it, but she seemed almost as excited as they were.  Then the whole family asked me to sign it.  Of course I agreed, and felt extremely flattered.  As they walked out the door with my book in hand, I felt a renewed enthusiasm for my published works, and couldn't wait to tell Nick about my beautiful accomplishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment