Monday, June 17, 2013

My New Friend

Tessie has ballet every Monday, for forty five minutes. I usually drop her off, and then run some quick errands, before picking her up and heading home. Today, Christian and I stayed at the ballet studio and waited for her.

Tes walked into the studio, and we looked for seats. The summer program has a much smaller enrollment than the regular year, and so there are also a lot less people waiting in the lobby. I put Christian in a chair next to a boy whose younger sister danced with Tes, and I sat in the chair next to him.  Christian quickly became enamored of the older boy, who was going into middle school. They were both playing games on their mothers' phones, and Christian couldn't believe they were both playing angry birds. "Look mom," he said proudly.  "We're the same!" The young man was so kind and polite, he smiled at Christian and said "You're right, we are " 

The two boys bonded over games and movies. I was tickled pink. Christian hasn't spent much time around older kids, and I had never seen him so instantly attached to someone. He looked like such a big boy sitting next to his new buddy, and talking to him with absolutely no involvement on my part. 

When Tessie came out of class and I picked Christian up to leave, he protested loudly. "I need my new friend!" he wailed as we walked away. My heart melted as the young man came over to try to cheer Christian up with a high five and a promise to see him again soon. I mean, what kind of eleven year old boy is this sweet? Christian didn't stop talking about his new friend all night. I think this might be the begging of a beautiful friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment