Friday, June 21, 2013

My Garden Monster

My dreams of an abundant garden this year have, thus far, fallen a bit short.  Between being a mom, and, well pretty much just being a mom, I got off to a much later start than planned.  And so, here we are, nearing the end of June, and my tomatoes have been getting sadder and sadder, sitting in their pots.  Until today.  I finally finished my tomato bed today, and with Tessie by my side, we set out to put our suffering plants in the ground at last.

Tessie was in a flowing summer dress, which she saw no need to change out of, but did see fit to put on her boots, hat, and gloves.  She looked like something straight out of a Victorian garden magazine.  I just love her.  She stood patiently by, while I explained every step of what we were going to do.  When I said that I was going to crush up egg shells to put in each hole, she volunteered to do the crushing with gusto.  And she did.  She crushed shells, gingerly placed them in each hole I dug, and helped me place each tomato plant.  Then she spread straw over the bed like a blanket.

As I watered the now full bed, she watched me with the look of a proud mother cat, watching her kittens play.  I could hardly keep from laughing out loud.  As we walked in the house she said, "Now Mommy, make sure you water our tomatoes and take good care of them so they grow healthy and strong."  I sure have created a monster, but man, she is a beautiful monster, that's for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment